Applegreen are currently recruiting an Environment, Health & Safety Officer. This is a new role for Applegreen plc, and a great opportunity to have a real impact on how we define and progress the environment, health and safety agenda across the business in Ireland.
The Environment, Health & Safety Officer will develop, maintain and protect health and safety standards in accordance with current health and safety legislation. Travel is a requirement for this role, so applicants would preferably have access to car and must hold current clean full driving license.
• Help define and implement the Environment, Health & Safety strategy for Retail Operations Ireland.
• Carry out risk assessments, identifying potential hazards and consider how risks could be reduced.
• Outline safe operational procedures which identify and consider all relevant hazards.
• Carry out regular site inspections to check policies and procedures are being properly implemented.
• Ensure working practices are safe and comply with legislation.
• Prepare health and safety strategies and develop internal policy.
• Lead in-house training with managers and employees about health and safety issues and risks.
• Keep records of inspection findings and produce reports that suggest improvements.
• Investigate customer and employee accidents and incidents to full conclusion.
• Advise on, and assist with, company employee return to work process subsequent to an accident/illness resulting in personal injury.
• Keep up to date with new legislation and maintain a working knowledge of all. Health and Safety Executive (HSE) legislation and any developments that affect the employer's industry.
• Liaise with company clients and maintain a working knowledge of their Health & Safety policies and procedures.
• Produce management reports, newsletters and bulletins.
• Ensure that construction/refurbishment/contract transition projects, including implementation of new equipment and processes are planned, directed and monitored from a safety perspective.
• Advise on a range of specialist areas, appropriate to the Forecourt/Catering/ Retail Industry. Advise on insurance and legal claims and assist to completion/closure.
• Multi interdepartmental liaison on safety.
• Record incidents and accidents and produce statistics for managers.
• 3rd level qualification in technical / science, diploma in Environmental Health & Safety, Occupational Health & Safety
• 5 + years' experience in a similar Industry (Multi-site, wide range and variety of operations in the Retail/Food Service/Catering Industry
Teamwork; As a team member, the ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team; as a team leader, the ability to demonstrate interest, skill, and success in getting groups to learn to work together.
Written Communications; The ability to express oneself clearly in business writing.
Influencing others; The ability to gain others’ support for ideas, proposals, projects, and solutions.
Customer Orientation; The ability to demonstrate concern for satisfying one’s external and/or internal customers.
Initiative; Identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it.
Innovation; The ability to develop, sponsor, or support the introduction of new and improved method, products, procedures, or technologies.
Thoroughness; Ensuring that one’s own and others’ work and information are complete and accurate; carefully preparing for meetings and presentations; following up with others to ensure that agreements and commitments have been fulfilled.
Self- confidence; Faith in one’s own ideas and capability to be successful; willingness to take an independent position in the face of opposition.
• Computer Literate
• Problem Solving Skills
• Auditing Skills
• Report Writing
• Budget Management